[j-nsp] TCAM full on EX8200?

Julien Goodwin jgoodwin at studio442.com.au
Sun Oct 16 10:02:00 EDT 2011

On 16/10/11 13:28, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
<snip openflow rant>

> Of course the traditional router vendors are also realizing that they
> won't be able to compete on price given the massive volumes that third
> party ASIC makers are doing, so they've already started building systems
> around those chips. The Cisco ASR is EZChip, the Juniper EX is Marvell,
> the Juniper QFX and a dozen other similar products are Broadcom, etc.
> But ultimately, it still comes down to software. The exact same Broadcom
> reference design box can be sold by Dell for $1k or by Force10 for $15k,
> and the difference is the software. :)

Well, that's "Dell" and "DellForce10" now...

Arista is the one company that seems poised to actually take this on and
keep coming out with good hardware, at a decent price, with a powerful,
open control plane. Their kit isn't Openflow interoperable yet that I
know of, but that should be doable.

>> There are other potential solutions, for example:
>> http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog50/presentations/Monday/NANOG50.Talk17.swhyte_Opensource_LSR_Presentation.pdf
>
> Yup, this is an example of software using OpenFlow.

So openflow...

It's no secret that my corporate overlords are playing with openflow
(that above presentation for example), but what everyone seems to be
espousing is big, single controllers managing large distributed
environments, something very much like Juniper's Qfabric, but that only
seems interesting, for now, in large datacenter environments. The one
above is using it simply as an abstraction layer for the hardware, not
for distributed features which I think is more practical in the near
term, at least outside of flat datacenter networks.