[j-nsp] Ethernet OAM question?

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 01:30:09 EDT 2011

On 18 October 2011 22:46, tim tiriche <tim.tiriche at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can i run link fault management between R1-R2 or is LFM only between
> R1 - switchA?

  The latter, as LFM PDUs shouldn't be forwarded by switches.  It
should be link-local.

> What keepalives method i can use to detect a failure somewhere in the
> provider and bring the R1-R2 physical link down.
> Bring this link as AE and run LACP?

  OAM CFM (connectivity fault management) could be used for this, if
R1 and R2 support it, which is designed to provide end-to-end OAM
monitoring via periodic CCMs (continuity check messages).  We're
seeing better support for this in the 11.2 (or was is .3?) or later
code on MXs.  You may need an event script to actually tear your link
down locally if that's what you're looking for (based on a syslog
event, for example), as OAM CFM doesn't do that for you.

  I wouldn't trust the intermediary providers to transport
802.3ad/LACP PDUs transparently, unless they all have indicated that
it's supported via L2 protocol tunneling (though I'd still be a
skeptic, if there are multiple carriers).

David