[j-nsp] Graphing VCP Backplane (slax help needed)

Charlie Allom charlie at playlouder.com
Wed Oct 19 09:10:35 EDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 04:30:28PM +0100, Phill Jolliffe <phill.jolliffe at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you can find a counter for the vcp throughput then you can populate
> the "utility mib" with the value and snmp poll and graph it.

I've done just this. It took me about 4 hours of learning SLAX.. enough
to patch this together:

    http://capslock.playlouder.com/check-vc.slax

It actually only works as a proof of concept.

On a 2-member EX stack with little traffic, the load is high but it only
takes a minute to run.

On a 3-member stack running decent traffic, the load grinds to 1.7 and
the CPU is very busy. On anything more than 3*24T I would imagine the
script is unusable!

The output is nothing like normal interfaces.. you'd need to craft your
own poller with collectd or something to watch the traffic.

Can anyone help me with SLAX to maybe bring the load down? I am sure I
am doing-it-wrong.

Regards,
  C.
--