[j-nsp] FreeRadius/ERX Question

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Thu Oct 20 11:47:55 EDT 2011

Hey folks.

We are trying to get a "lite profile" working on ERX platform for PPPOE
clients.  This would restrict their download/upload speeds on a per user
basis via Radius attributes.

I have a ticket running at JTAC now for a long time on this - they have now
come back and told me I must run Unisphere attributes instead of ERX
attributes from Radius.  We are using FreeRadius FYI.

pstewart        Auth-Type = System

        Service-Type = Framed-User,

        Framed-IP-Address = xx.xxx.58.253,

        Framed-Protocol = PPP,

        Framed-MTU = 1500,

        Unisphere-Ingress-Policy-Name = lite,

        Unisphere-Egress-Policy-Name = lite,

        Unisphere-Egress-Statistics = enable,

        Unisphere-Ingress-Statistics = enable

Personally I was hoping something more generic would work but none the less
we modified this test account with the Unisphere attributes but FreeRadius
will not accept them:

Thu Oct 20 11:27:51 2011 : Error: /usr/local/etc/raddb/users[42671]: Parse
error (reply) for entry pstewart: Invalid octet string "lite" for attribute
name "Unisphere-Ingress-Policy-Name"

Am I doing something wrong here?  I checked and all the dictionary files
appear to be intact including those attributes . seems like a FreeRadius
issue possibly.

Anyone else doing something similar?  Are you using these attributes?  When
we use ERX-Ingress-Policy-Name we can see the policy appearing on a debug
with the ERX box but it doesn't work.

Thanks in advance,

Paul