[j-nsp] TCAM full on EX8200?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sun Oct 23 05:48:22 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 01:20:28PM +0400, Pavel Lunin wrote:
> TBH, I haven't checked the pricing but I'd expect Brocade MLX
>
> MLX(e) is an edge device and is much like MX in most things. It's
> cheaper but at a cost of some features lack and few caveats. Although
> it's a good product, it's not a label-oriented LSR anyway.

The hardware functionality for label switching in MLX/XMR seems to be
fine (as far as I can tell), it's only the software that is still a
giant mess. To be honestly they seem to be ok for very simple stuff like
pseudowires, but last I looked things like rsvp-te were still a complete
and total mess. Global Crossing recently tried to roll out XMRs as pure
LSR "supercore" boxes alongside existing T640s, and a whole bunch of
blackholing and pissed off customers later they seem to have abandoned
that project and moved the boxes to L3 edge router roles. As I said, I
have yet to find ANY vendor other than Cisco/Juniper who ACTUALLY
understand MPLS well. And even those guys I wonder about sometimes. :)

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:24:05PM +0300, Tarko Tikan wrote:

> Same way MX is not ment to be used as LSR, yet everyone does that.

That's because we're not stupid (well, some of us aren't at any rate),
and we know the difference between what the box is promoted for in
marketing vs what it can actually do. :)

Foundry on the other hand doesn't appear to have any "serious" MPLS
users at all (beyond relatively simple pseudowire/vpls, nothing I would
classify as serious at any rate).