[j-nsp] TCAM full on EX8200?

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Mon Oct 24 04:48:22 EDT 2011

> Do you realize that the source and destination IP address, TCP ports,
> MAC addresses, and so on, are all larger than 20 bits?  If the thing
> can figure out how to hash on those parameters, it could also figure
> out how to hash on labels.

:) If it were so easy, the next thread on EX LB wouldn't exist. Guess, why
EX gets only 6 lower bits of IPs, MACs and ports for hashing and can not be
reconfigured. Because it's so easy to be more flexible? Huh, it's your
choice to have such an opinion.

To focus just on the instruction format is a bit myopic

MIMD vs VLIW is not just about instruction format. It's
about synchronous/asynchronous mode of units operation and consequent huge
difference in configuring/programming the chips (read: development cost).

Well, gonna be a holywar. Something what I don't love to take part in. So
please, accept my acknowledge of a defeat in advance and excuse my escape.