[j-nsp] SRX100/2x0 as small MPLS CPE?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Oct 26 08:59:41 EDT 2011

On 26/10/11 13:18, Mark Tinka wrote:

> My concern with running this box in a production service
> provider environment, particularly in Metro-E rings, is that
> software stability hasn't been great based on lots of
> feedback from folks on this list.

Granted that something like a ring topology might be stretching the
device a bit; OTOH we use them in L3VPN scenarios without problems.

They lack a bunch of stuff I'd like, but they're cheap cheap cheap!

> Suffice it to say, if Juniper are seriously pushing this box
> as a security platform, who's to say what they'll do with it
> 2, 3 years out, just like what happened with the good ol' J-
> series and Junos-ES? Big disappointment!

Very true. On the other hand, the SRX (well, 210s at least) are very
very cheap. If the difference in cost is of the order of a few thousand
£s, buying them and junking them if/when Juniper screw them up could be
a win. Assuming they don't screw them up tomorrow, that is...