[j-nsp] Summarize Global Table

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Oct 26 10:24:14 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, October 26, 2011 09:26:11 PM Chris Morrow
wrote:

> As I've said in the grow-wg sessions several times (and
> at nanog and other places) VA, and other solutions like
> it, may be fine in some deployments, they may even save
> you some cycle time on RP/RE/linecards, each operator
> that uses these solutions needs to decide for themselves
> what level of loss in granularity is acceptable and on
> which platforms in their network they will still need to
> carry full routes in rib + fib.

For networks that may be feeling pressure in the core (and
if the core is especially large that the problem is
magnified), this really is where MPLS can have real
application, as opposed to just being a buzz word for folk
that think it's cool.

If removing BGP from your core will save you tons of $$ in
core router upgrades, then MPLS is certainly worth
considering. Of course, this assumes the network is
currently already running MPLS, or does not find deploying
to be rocket science. If neither of those pre-conditions is
the case, then it's not such a hot idea, of course.

Also, it assumes your edge (particularly the Aggregation
nodes) can still handle a full table, which may also not be
the case for some networks.

Mark.