[j-nsp] Summarize Global Table

Tima Maryin timamaryin at mail.ru
Thu Oct 27 16:38:13 EDT 2011

On 25.10.2011 20:21, Brad Fleming wrote:
> Are there any tricks to auto-summarize the contents of a RIB where the tributary routes are not originated locally?
>
> Example:
> Input routes:
> prefix: 1.0.0.0/16, next-hop: 5.5.5.5
> prefix: 1.0.1.0/16, next-hop: 5.5.5.5
> prefix: 1.0.2.0/16, next-hop: 4.4.4.4
> prefix: 1.0.3.0/16, next-hop: 5.5.5.5
>
> Consolidated, Installed routes:
> prefix: 1.0.0.0/14, next-hop: 5.5.5.5
> prefix: 1.0.2.0/16, next-hop: 4.4.4.4
>
> Basically a way to consolidate total number of prefixes entering the FIB.
>
> If such a thing existed we could feed non-Juniper, TCAM-based routers a smaller table but still maintain the advantages of best path, hot potato routing.

If you have got some peers/uplinks which are ISPs with full table there
will eventually  be scenarios when you will be forced to hack some of
you aggregates with specifics again and again to avoid blackholing.
Since customers of those ISPs tends to use specifics to manipulate
inbound traffic.

If you're not ISP does 0/0 looks like an option? :)