[j-nsp] IRB Interface Question

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Tue Sep 6 19:59:07 EDT 2011

Hi there...

Been searching for an answer on this - can't find it.

On an MX box we have an IRB interface that is physically made up of 4X1GE
interfaces.  I noticed our NMS platform reports the IRB interface itself as
1000mbps and also the CLI reports the same:

  Logical interface irb.911 (Index 97) (SNMP ifIndex 384)

    Flags: SNMP-Traps 0x4004000 Encapsulation: ENET2

    Bandwidth: 1000mbps

    Routing Instance: xxxxxx Bridging Domain: xxxxxxx

I presume that the IRB has no actual bandwidth limitation and that the only
limitation is the physical interfaces?  Can I set the bandwidth manually or
is this because the IRB has no real way to know what the bandwidth behind it
is possible of doing?

Thanks,

Paul