[j-nsp] MX RE how fast is slow

Mike Williams mike.williams at comodo.com
Thu Sep 8 07:41:52 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Recently a discussion touched on the routing engine speed of the MX series,
but there wasn't much like a "real world" comparison.
So my question is, how slow is the RE on an MX80 compared to it's bigger
brethren?

I ask because we find the MX80 slow, really slow.
As we've got 2 distinctly different traffic types, and 2 distinctly different
upstreams (1Gbps and 10Gbps), we're using a rib group and policy to populate
2 additional ribs with different local preferences applied to the learnt
routes. Filters direct packets to the right table.
It'll take the RE a good 10-15 minutes to churn through that job, and that's a
bit annoying when you make a small change to a unrelated policy!
Now, is that us being stupid, or the RE being slow? I know what I'd like to
hear :)

Cheers

--
Mike Williams