[j-nsp] MX RE how fast is slow

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Sep 8 12:27:47 EDT 2011

On Thursday, September 08, 2011 11:36:58 PM Mike Williams
wrote:

> I've done "show chassis routing-engine" many many times.
> It spikes User to >90% for a short while (a minute or
> so), then stays >90% kernel until it's finished. There
> are occasional spikes in User load, but only very brief,
> I figure that's it dealing with a peer/snmp/jflow/etc.

I've found the RE (M/MX/T-series) to be fairly slow on our
end, for the first 60 - 90 seconds after committing changes
that were directly related to routing, particularly, BGP.

But I suppose others have faced this since our policies
really aren't that long, or too complicated for the RE to
compute.

I'd really like to be able to view the changes my policy has
made to routes a couple of seconds after committing said
changes. But well, it's not a train wreck either :-).

Don't even get me started on the EX RE's.

Mark.