[j-nsp] What does AS path attribute problem mean?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Sep 9 13:05:46 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 05:41:18PM +0200, Markus wrote:
> All of a sudden without changing anything in the config I'm getting
> the following on a M7i running 8.0R2.8:
>
> rpd[3019]: bgp_read_v4_update: NOTIFICATION sent to 89.146.xx.49
> (External AS xxxx): code 3 (Update Message Error) subcode 11 (AS
> path attribute problem)
>
> The other end (Cisco) is getting:
>
> %BGP-3-NOTIFICATION: received from neighbor 89.146.xx.50 3/11
> (invalid or corrupt AS path) 0 bytes
>
> This is causing the BGP session to flap. It happens at arbitrary
> intervals, sometimes once a minute, sometimes just once in an hour.
> CFEB and RE CPU are at steady 100% when it happens.
>
> What can I do about this and what could be the cause? Help! :)

	You should likely upgrade your software to something modern.

	There were a variety of bugs back in the 8.x with processing
some updates and their extended attributes.  Going from 8.0 to something
modern may be a more complex task than you imagine.. make sure you have
console, and do delay-restart, no-validate and use the jinstall if you can.

	- Jared