[j-nsp] out of band management - real OOB

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Mon Sep 19 16:59:38 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Pavel Lunin <plunin at senetsy.ru> wrote:

> 2011/9/17 Chris Evans <chrisccnpspam2 at gmail.com>
>
> > Juniper devices have out of band ethernet ports, but have the HUGE HUGE
> > downfall of being in the main routing table conflicting with every other
> > route.
> >

> BTW, can anyone give a good real-world example of a _routed_ OOB management
> network usage?
>
> As far as I understand the whole concept of OOB MGT IP interface was
> invented to make the management network totally isolated from any transit
> traffic. For security concerns, at the days when firewalls were not trusty
> enough, when lack of Internet connection was not that big issue. If you
> really need to implement this, you won't run into any routing conflict,
> since it's a really separated network, will you?
>
> But. Nowadays not really many folks run separate PCs for OOB MGT totally
> apart of their LAN, corporate environment, email, Internet, etc. Even
> though
> some conservators may still desire this sort of design, most NMS need an
> Internet connection to update something. In this case — yes, you bump into
> routing conflict using fxp0, but why to use fxp0 in such a scenario?
>
> An only exception I know of (looks like a real design flaw by Juniper) is
> the SRX cluster case, where you MUST use fxp0 interfaces, if you want to
> have access to particular members of a cluster. Otherwise you can only
> access a virtual devise as a whole, with no clue which particular node you
> connect to. Not so big problem in real world, to be honest, but if you are
> required to connect it to, say, NSM, which goes to the Internet through
> this
> same SRX cluster, you got a real pain in the rear (workarounds exist, of
> course).
>
> Sure, there are some good applications of fxp0 in field, but this does not
> much relate to real routing issues.

I see two ways one can go about this. Either programmatically tunnel into an
OOB L2 segment via a "bastion" host in an on-demand fashion, or point some
routes (dynamically, or otherwise) into your internal network for management
use.

The risk of pointing routes into your internal network, IMO, is that
very-specific ACLs for management access can begin to have a blurred
distinction. RFC-1918 space can overlap, and public IPs within an internal
network can sometimes overlap with an active transit path.

It's more work to script things to work nicely, but I believe the dynamic
tunneling method is the safer thing to do.
In the spirit of Junipers clean separation of the data and forwarding
planes, it seems too bad that they end up using the kernel routing table to
hold what goes in the forwarding hardware as well.

If you have the blessing of being able to have an all-J network, or one with
devices that all support multiple routing tables and routing protocol
separation (a la logical systems, or routing instance) -- setting up
separate routing tables for management vs. traffic-carrying is probably a
good thing.

--j