[j-nsp] What does AS path attribute problem mean?

Juniper GOWEX juniper at iber-x.com
Tue Sep 20 10:45:05 EDT 2011

Hi Experts,

The attributes problems have appearedagain:

        /Sep 19 20:46:43 router1.net LEV[2625]: bgp_path_attr_error: NOTIFICATION sent to 149.X.X.X (External AS XXX): code 3 (Update Message Error) subcode 11 (AS path attribute problem)/

and looking at the Juniper KB I found a workaround :

        /"In order to stop the BGP session flaps, a per-neighbor
        configuration option exists that will cause JUNOSe to ignore any
        illegal or incorrectly formatted attributes:
        /

            /ERX(config)#*router bgp*//<AS#>
            ERX(config-router)#*neighbor*//<x.x.x.x>*  lenient*/

        /Provided log category |*bgpMessages*| has been set to log
        severity warning by configuring:
        /

            /ERX(config)#*log severity warning bgpMessages*/

        /a message will still be logged when an illegal attribute is
        received:

        |WARNING 01/01/2008 19:34:52 bgpMessages (default,10.0.0.2):
        UPDATE message from peer 10.0.0.2 in core: new-as-path contains
        segment type confed-sequence (not allowed). "|
        /

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB13623&actp=RSS

Does anyone know or configuredthis workarround ? . Do you think this
could avoid the BGP session flaps?

Thanks in advance for your support

Best Regards

Isidoro