[j-nsp] Next Gen MVPN flooding assistance

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Sep 20 13:03:57 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:48:21 AM Stefan Fouant
wrote:

> Just out of curiousity, since I am always eager to learn
> how people are deploying this in the real-world - do you
> have multiple ingress nodes streaming the same content
> and use diverse P2MP LSPs to your head-ends a-la
> "live-live" or some other approach for ensuring
> redundant data?

For redundancy, we do have multiple ingress points streaming
the same content, but we're always choosing one source at a
time, as it would be too complex to try and take live
streams from all sources at the same time just by IP routing
alone.

In this case, a particular Sender PE router is chosen to
ingress Multicast data for the network based on the
LOCAL_PREF value of the BGP route toward (C-S). Every Sender
PE router applies a BGP LOCAL_PREF value to the (C-S) route
in a "3, 2, 1" type order. So basically, a live/standby
approach.

This is the simplest approach we could take prior to the
protocol introducing support for 'draft-morin-l3vpn-mvpn-
fast-failover-05'.

Cheers,

Mark.