[j-nsp] SRX & Power outages

Ravi Pina ravi at cow.org
Wed Sep 21 01:14:42 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 02:01:01PM +1000, Tim Warnock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Silly question maybe, but as someone who is working to roll out SRX devices
> to customers - how likely are we to see devices fail because of power
> outages/unclean shutdowns and any resulting disk corruption?
>
> Is an SRX devices more susceptible to potential failures because of
> corruption in any particular scenarios? (like boot up/shutdown/commit)

In my environment there are about 12 clusters ranging from the
210 to 3600.  I have only experienced 1 issue with a 240 that
lost power (UPS failed) and came back up on the backup partition
because (what I'm guessing) a failed fsck.

I did a reinstall (since the recovery was an older version) and
it booted fine.

I also did a handful of controlled power failures without issue.

I don't see the SRX being any more susceptible than any other
Juniper product and they have enough protections to prevent
catastrophic failure form corruption.

The only branch model that has RPSU is the 650 so there is the
risk of a PSU failure, of course.

-r