[j-nsp] [c-nsp] general question on VRFs and FIBs...

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Tue Sep 27 04:58:42 EDT 2011

Hi Gert,

 > "address first, VRF second".

Well no one sane would do that ;) I believe what Derick was asking was
why not have "incoming_interface/table_id -> prefix" lookup.

And while in software each VRF has separate RIB and FIB data structures
for reasons already discussed on L3VPN IETF mailing list in actual
hardware on a given line card however this may no longer be the case.

Also side note that most vendors still did not implement per
interface/per vrf MPLS labels (even in control plane) so all labels are
looked up in a global table with just additional essentially control
plane driven twicks to protect from malicious attacks in the case of
CSC/Inter-AS.

Cheers,
R.