[j-nsp] [c-nsp] general question on VRFs and FIBs...

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Tue Sep 27 10:08:28 EDT 2011

> Now in dcef mode
> With a separate FIB+Adjacency tables per vrf
> You could copy only subset of FIB and Adjacency tables to the linecard
> based on which vrfs the interfaces on the particular line-card are asociated
> with
> -to save up some memory
> (than a proces would be needed to request FIB resend from the RP when
> interface on a line-card would be asociated with a new vrf)

This would also work with a single FIB as well as long as the routes were
marked with what vrf they belong in.

Maybe we're missing the obvious.  It's possible that there is no real reason
why it separate FIBs were used.  It's possible that this decision was made
before vrf and L3VPN were common technologies and it was considered safer to
have separate FIBs.  Also, in the event of a forwarding bug or even a
security hole it's alot easier to maintain the integrity of a VRF if it's
forwarding entries are separate from the others.