[j-nsp] M10i JUNOS Upgrade

Jonas Frey (Probe Networks) jf at probe-networks.de
Wed Sep 28 16:12:58 EDT 2011

Jake,

as far as i know you need more than 512MB dram to go past JunOS 10.x.
(I know there was a limitation but i dont recall where in detail).
Any way with less than 768MB Ram you are asking for trouble with any
modern JunOS.
Best would be to upgrade your RE-5 to 768 MB which is the max.

The RE-5 only comes with 256MB sticks, so you would only need to buy 1
more. This will be fine if you buy them from juniper ($$$).
If you are going the 3rd party route then it'll be better to buy 3x256MB
sticks since otherwise the chip types wont match which could lead to
problems. The cost for these is probably just a few dollars...

512MB sticks only work on the RE-5+ aka RE-850.

As for the upgrade: Get yourself a install media (or create one) and
save yourself the trouble of going via various intermediate versions
(also this would be alot faster).

-Jonas