[j-nsp] Regular maintenance advice

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+junipernsp at eintellego.net
Tue Apr 3 10:28:09 EDT 2012

Hey all,

I am designing a document for low level technicians to regularly
(depending on sensitivity of the device) login to the Juniper
router/or switch to look around and make sure that things are 'ok'.

I am seeking comments of anything else that would be useful for an
technician to look at that would catch their eye that something is
potentially wrong.

So far I have:

---

RJ01 – Router

1. Show log messages

     a.     Look at last few days for anything suspicious

          i.     Interfaces flapping

2. Show interfaces terse

     a.     Anything down that shouldn’t be?

3. Show chassis alarm

     a.     Look for any alarm information

4. Show system snapshot

     a.     If older than 1 week then – ‘Request system snapshot’

5. Show system uptime

     a.     As expected?

6. Show system storage

     a.     Confirm / (root) disk space is not getting full.

---

Skeeve Stevens, CEO

eintellego Pty Ltd
skeeve at eintellego.net ; www.eintellego.net

Phone: 1300 753 383 ; Fax: (+612) 8572 9954

Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve

facebook.com/eintellego

twitter.com/networkceoau ; www.linkedin.com/in/skeeve

PO Box 7726, Baulkham Hills, NSW 1755 Australia

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco – Brocade - IBM