[j-nsp] Packet mode "mpls" (was Layer 2 feature on srx)

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Tue Apr 10 03:37:19 EDT 2012

Phil Mayers wrote:

On 04/10/2012 06:17 AM, Doug Hanks wrote:

>> In the context of packet-mode, the family mpls is analogous to inet.  This
>> is correct.
>>

> Not sure I understand this.
>
> "analogous" implies what, here? That enabling packet-mode for MPLS
> implicitly enables it for IPv4?

Yep. Same for ISO.

> If that's the case, why is there also a "family inet" option?

Looks like first they meant to have different options for different
families allowing to simultaneously have some in flow and some in packet
mode. But it's already about… 4 years passed, I think, and it's still this
way. Any family turned into packet mode turns the whole box. Sort of the
same stuff as 'say per-packet mean per-flow' LB.

There might be a difference for inet6 (I am not sure) since some version,
in which the stateful processing for IPv6 was added. I just remember I
needed to explicitly set the packet mode for it playing around something
implied IPv6, otherwise it didn't work (or rather worked in flow-mode but I
had no zones/policies). Must repeat, I'm not sure.