[j-nsp] CGN ob MX5?

Bill Blackford bblackford at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 09:52:43 EDT 2012

This might also help.

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/implementation-guides/8010076-en.pdf

When testing CGN, there are some general things to keep in mind:

1. Application/Functionality. How do standard applications function
behind the double-nat?

2. Performance and scale. What's the load on the service PIC? How many
subs can you expect to nat behind a single, service PIC? At what point
do you need to throw extra hardware at it?

3. Placement. Where in your network do you place CGN? BNG/BRAS?
Regional aggregation? Core aggregation? How do you separate dedicated
Internet and business customers from subscribers? Depending on how far
upstream your chosen placement might be, how do you handle dual
egress?

4. Logging/tracking subs. How can we log and track each individual
subscriber all natting behind a single address? How verbose does that
logging need to be? There are some nice knobs in 11.2 that
specifically address some of theses issues.

-b

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 12:20 AM, Xu Hu <jstuxuhu0816 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently heard so many times about CGN, but i still don't understand what
> is the difference between NAT and CGN, can any expert explain what's the
> CGN.
>
> 2012/4/12 Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi>
>
>> On (2012-04-12 16:31 +0200), Matthias Brumm wrote:
>>
>> > I would like to know, if no, some or all implementations of CGN will
>> > be working on a MX5?
>>
>> This seems in realms of possibility (1ipv6 statically to 1ipv4) for trio.
>> But if you know you will need CGN I would assume that MX5 will never get
>> it, this way you'll avoid disappointment and possibly need for another box
>> while waiting for needed feature to appear.
>>
>> NAPT (port based, nto1) is not possible as far as I understand on trio,
>> then you'd need some service slot in the behind, which also I would assume
>> never to exist when making purchase decision.
>>
>> --
>>  ++ytti

Bill Blackford
Network Engineer

Logged into reality and abusing my sudo privileges.....