[j-nsp] ERX: ICR with bulk interfaces

Martin Lorentz ml at goetel.net
Mon Apr 16 15:42:17 EDT 2012

Hi,

has anyone ever tried using bulk configured interfaces with ICR (inter chassis redundancy) in JunosE.

The bulk config and the ICR config bits alone seem to work, but once its put together, it breaks: the PPPoE session is terminated before it gets to authenticate the user. 'show vlan subinterface' shows the dynamically created interface on the router which is in ICR master state.

Here's the relevant bits from the config of one of the ERX:

profile "vlan-pppoe"
 vlan auto-configure pppoe
 svlan ethertype 8100
 vlan profile pppoe pppoeGoetel
!
[...]
interface gigabitEthernet 1/1
 mtu 1522
 encapsulation vlan
 auto-configure vlan
 vlan bulk-config "bulk-pppoe"
 profile vlan bulk-config "bulk-pppoe" "vlan-pppoe"
 vlan bulk-config "bulk-pppoe" vlan-range 80 89
!
interface gigabitEthernet 1/1.23
 vlan id 23 icr-control-interface
 ip address 10.1.0.10 255.255.255.248
 ip vrrp 23 virtual-address 10.1.0.9
 no ip vrrp 23 preempt
 ip vrrp 23 priority 200
 ip vrrp 23 enable
 ip vrrp 23 icr-partition icrVlan
 ip vrrp 23 icr-partition group vlan
 ip vrrp 23 icr-partition vlan-range 80 89 advertise-mac control-interface
!

This is an ERX-310 with JUNOSe 11.3.2. The other ERX in the ICR pair is configured accordingly. When I disable the dynamic interface creation on the backup router with "no auto-configure vlan", the PPPoE client connects just fine. On the other hand, if I get rid of the "vlan bulk-config" and statically configure the PPPoE VLAN interfaces, it also works as expected. What am I missing?

Regards,
Martin