[j-nsp] Ethernet OAM, specifically CFM

Humair Ali humair.s.ali at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 16:15:39 EDT 2012

Actually CFM would be appropriate with what Chip is trying to achieve,

CFM monitor a maintenance session end to end and works a vlan or link level.

Why not monitor Cust Rtr interface to MX1 accross the bridge network  via
CFM and have an action profile assign to it ?

or monitor Cust Rtr 1 to remote end Cust Rtr 2 CFM , since usually you
would want to use CFM to guarantee a service.

On 20 April 2012 18:20, Keegan Holley <keegan.holley at sungard.com> wrote:

> CFM just performs a continuity check so I'm not sure it will help you
> here.  In other words it just checks if the CFM instance on the switch can
> talk to the CFM instance on the router.  If I understand your question
> correctly you're trying to verify an access point leading to a customer and
> not your MX.  If there is only one access port per VLAN interface can you
> move it down to the switch?
>

> 2012/4/20 chip <chip.gwyn at gmail.com>
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> >  I'm trying to figure out if I can create a
> > connectivity-fault-management instance between a vlan sub interface on
> > an MX and the access port in the same vlan on a down stream switch.
> > Possibly this will help: http://imgur.com/MMrZm
> >
> > Ultimately my goal is to detect an outage on the access port and take
> > down the layer-3 interface on the MX so I won't blackhole traffic.
> > Since that interface won't go down if the access port on the
> > downstream switch does.   Or maybe there's a better solution.  Either
> > way, if someone has this setup and can supply some example configs I
> > would be ever so grateful.  I can't quite seem to work it out.
> >
> > Thanks all!
> >
> > --chip
> >
> > --
> > Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....

Humair