[j-nsp] Layer2 Rate Limiting Bi-Directional

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Sat Apr 21 15:47:53 EDT 2012

Hi folks.

Working with a customer that has an aging Cisco 6500 in place (hybrid
CatOS/IOS).  They are looking for a replacement and we have proposed Juniper
to them.

My question though is where to find support in the hardware platforms for
bi-directional per port *and* per VLAN rate limiting?

Basically, they are a municipal fiber provider so a majority of their
business is layer2 at varying Mb/s increments.  Because of their network
layout, they run into situations where a single fiber port may have multiple
customers on separate VLAN's.  We are looking for the ability on a single
port to limit the layer2 speeds inbound and outbound.  I don't' believe you
can do this in the EX series or am I mistaken?

On the layer3 side, they are primarily static routing with a small amount of
actual Internet traffic.

Thanks for your input,

Paul Stewart