[j-nsp] Ethernet OAM, specifically CFM

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 09:53:52 EDT 2012

Thanks for all the input.  I'm beginning to get an understanding here.
 So, the vlan sub-int on the MX could be a MEP.  The port on the
switch where the customer connects can't be a MEP.  We'll have to
assume that I have no administrative control whatsoever over the
customer router.  I can't even insure that it's a router.  Could be an
ASA, could be a server, could be a router, just random device that can
route packets to some extent.  I would like to vlan connections back
up to the MX for layer-3 configurations.  My problem is that if the
customer facing port on the switch goes down, it won't take down the
layer-3 int on the MX, thus sending packets to nowhere.

The IRB instance sounds interesting, I'll try playing with that as well.

Thanks for the input all, much appreciated!

--chip

--
Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....