[j-nsp] Juniper SFP's

Wayne Tucker wayne at tuckerlabs.com
Wed Apr 25 12:14:39 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Skeeve Stevens <
skeeve+junipernsp at eintellego.net> wrote:

> There is likely to be no difference, but will JTAC tell me to get lost if I
> use an EX one in an SRX or MX or vice versa?

At one point I was using LX optics from one platform in another (I think it
was MX in SRX, but that could be backwards).  They worked fine, but DOM was
showing really odd values (33 volts, module temperature of several hundred
degrees, etc.).  The counters looked normal once I switched them out for
the "right" optics.

They were third party optics but they were programmed for those platforms.
 I don't have any Juniper optics in that variety so I don't know whether
they'd behave the same.

> Does anyone have experience with the compatibility of the generics?
> Agilestair or so on?  I really am happy to sell genuine Juniper SFP's, but
> why the hell are there different codes for each one?  Why am I waiting for
> stock for 3 weeks for an SRX one when they have 163 EX ones.

I've had good luck with Approved Optics.  I try to stick with Juniper on
devices that have a lot of optics (since it would be a pain to change them
all out if JTAC tried to blame the optics for a problem), but I might
change that strategy if I had enough devices to warrant sparing Juniper
optics (for JTAC-compatible changeouts) in appropriate quantities.

:w