[j-nsp] Best practice MTU?

Eric Helm helmwork at ruraltel.net
Fri Apr 27 08:40:43 EDT 2012

On 4/26/2012 4:32 PM, OBrien, Will wrote:
> We've been pushing out jumbo frames across our new core lately. Right now I've got multiple boxes from multiple vendors that all support different maximum MTUs.
>
> Example: Juniper MX960/480, Nexus 7009, Nexus 5k/2k, Catalyst 4900, Nortel/Avaya 8600.... All different maximums.
>
> Anyone have suggestions for a best practice MTU? (That is.... over 9000?!)

I just ran across this the other day. Some good reading and looks like a
push to standardize 9000 byte MTU across the board.

https://ripe64.ripe.net/presentations/139-Hurricane_Electric_-_Martin_Levy_-_IX_Jumbo_Frames_-_RIPE64_EIX-WG_-_Slovenia.pdf

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-mlevy-ixp-jumboframes-00.txt

/Eric