[j-nsp] Information for expected fragmentation behavior on IPsec tunnel

Terry Jones terry.jones at war-eagle.me
Fri Aug 10 17:34:37 EDT 2012

The default is actually to clear the df-bit, which I have verified on the
srx, however, if this is case, then the traffic should be fragmenting when I
ping with large packets setting the df-bit. This setting should stay within
the encapsulated packet and then the outer ipsec packet is set to clear and
the packet should be fragmenting, which is it not.

I've opened a JTAC case, so we'll see what they say.

tjones at srx1-net04> show security ipsec security-associations index 131073
node0:
  ID: 131073 Virtual-system: root, VPN Name: Denver-CN
  Local Gateway: a.a.a.a, Remote Gateway: b.b.b.b
  Local Identity: ipv4_subnet(any:0,[0..7]=0.0.0.0/0)
  Remote Identity: ipv4_subnet(any:0,[0..7]=0.0.0.0/0)
  Version: IKEv1
    DF-bit: clear
    Bind-interface: st0.3

    Direction: inbound, SPI: 7075d78, AUX-SPI: 0
                              , VPN Monitoring: UP
    Hard lifetime: Expires in 3529 seconds
    Lifesize Remaining:  Unlimited
    Soft lifetime: Expires in 2973 seconds
    Mode: Tunnel(10 10), Type: dynamic, State: installed
    Protocol: ESP, Authentication: hmac-sha1-96, Encryption: 3des-cbc
    Anti-replay service: counter-based enabled, Replay window size: 64

    Direction: outbound, SPI: 2acb634b, AUX-SPI: 0
                              , VPN Monitoring: UP
    Hard lifetime: Expires in 3529 seconds
    Lifesize Remaining:  Unlimited
    Soft lifetime: Expires in 2973 seconds
    Mode: Tunnel(10 10), Type: dynamic, State: installed
    Protocol: ESP, Authentication: hmac-sha1-96, Encryption: 3des-cbc
    Anti-replay service: counter-based enabled, Replay window size: 64

Thanks,
Terry