[j-nsp] what is differnet between bridge and ethernet-switching ?

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Wed Aug 15 05:16:11 EDT 2012

>>>> There is no difference between the two.

...Until You jump on an SRX branch where you use both for completely different things (eg: transparent mode) ; )

My (albeit limited) understanding is that bridging interfaces/bridge-domains aren't bound to a specific ingress VLAN tag, allowing you to bring diverse tagged interfaces together into the one broadcast domain easily, whereas ethernet-switching interfaces/VLANs strictly enforce a single ingress tag to a domain.