[j-nsp] Tricks for killing L2 loops in VPLS and STP "BPDU-less" situations?

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 19:20:31 EDT 2012

Hi Clarke,

We pass through BPDUs through VPLS the MX'es- but yes, miscreant users / switches will always be a problem.

We do the following to every customer-facing VPLS instance, but only #3 would help you here:

1. Mac Limiting per VPLS Interface (100) (i.e per 'site')
2. Mac Limiting per VPLS (500)
3. Limit Broadcast/Unknown Unicast/Multicast Traffic (5 Mbit) into the VPLS

You can put on an input firewall filter which calls a 5 Mbit policer at [routing instances <vpls-name> forwarding-options family vpls <>] to start limiting this type of traffic into the 'bridge domain' at any time.

- CK.