[j-nsp] small multitenant datacenter

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Tue Dec 4 06:03:42 EST 2012

Ryan Goldberg <RGoldberg at compudyne.net> writes:

> I will re-review what we may need/what may be lacking. It seems the
> 3300s are catching up, and we have had good luck in small
> single-tenant deployments (3 vmware host + SAN), using them strictly
> as stacked L2 switches, generally in place of a pair of 3750x or
> 2960s.

I avoid the EX3300 because it requires a feature license for q-in-q
tunneling. Even HP has stopped doing that.

Personally I find it confusing that feature licenses are so different
across the EX series. It is probably unavoidable that not all hardware
is equally capable feature-wise, but checking for which features need a
license on which box is a bit of a nightmare. Not as bad as a certain
other vendor, but still.

/Benny