[j-nsp] switch idea.?

Christopher E. Brown chris.brown at acsalaska.net
Thu Dec 6 16:41:05 EST 2012

On 12/6/12 8:14 AM, Saku Ytti wrote:
> On (2012-12-06 09:00 -0800), Michael Loftis wrote:
>
>> The biggest thing I miss over Cisco is VTP.  Managing VLAN's is a huge pain
>> without it when you've got dozens of switches that all need the same VLAN
>
> VTP has ups and downs. Many people have broken network or two with VTP in
> their time.
> If your switch supports 4k VLAN ID, then pre-provisioning all VLAN at
> installation time is in my opinion obvious correct solution.
>
> If you support less than 4k but you need to support arbitrary ID value then
> VTP can avoid need for VLAN provisioning system.

Yes, vtp v1 and v2 are just plain evil when it comes to large scale
networks.

What is needed is an improved VTPv3 equiv.  Set group name, set group
password, set client or servers.  Only master can update and master is
only master after election.  And none of that auto-discover domain/pass
trash.

In other words, explicit working control of what is part of the group
and who can actually update.  On those terms it works well, but vtpv3 is
only available on a limited # of Crisco platforms, and I have never seen
a good non-crisco equiv.