[j-nsp] Junos device monitoring

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Dec 14 07:38:32 EST 2012

On (2012-12-14 09:36 +0000), Riccardo S wrote:

> which is the best way to monitor a Junos device (ie EX or MX) in terms of:

Same as any other network. Which unfortunately is poorly supported by so
called NMS systems, which are mostly for server monitoring.

Your tasks for setting up NMS

1. working ICMP echo test
2. snmp traps (gives you link/bgp/ldp/ospf/isis up/down, hardware
removed/added/broken)
3. snmp polling (something more fancy, at least yellow/red alarms)
4. anything else you may need

So your goals 1-2 are met by 2.
Your goals 3-4 are met by 3.

Traps are really underrated. You can implement SNMP trap to XMPP/email/irc
gateway from 0 in about 30min and get better NMS than vast majority of
networks out there have. Only relevant stuff, no false positives (false
positives are bigger problem than false negatives. If people get false
positives they stop paying attention to alarms)