[j-nsp] GRE on MX - weird performance issue

Luca Salvatore Luca at ninefold.com
Mon Dec 17 22:57:40 EST 2012

Hi All,

I have a MX5 and a MX10 router connected over the Internet via a GRE tunnel.  When I do a file transfer between the two sites that these routers connect it looks like there is some form of rate-limiting going on.  My transfer speed flat lines at about 300KB.

However I know it is not a bandwidth issue because I can have multiple file transfers going on at once and they all sit at about 300KB.  So this shows me that I have enough bandwidth to push lots of traffic at once, but each single stream of traffic never gets much faster than 300KB.

I've tried different MTU settings on the GRE interface without much change, was thinking of adjusting the MSS but can't seem to figure that out on the MX.

Any thoughts here?  I don't have any form for shaping/policing/rate limiting anywhere, and it seems strange that I can push lots of data slowly, but I can't have one transfer going fast!
Seems like there is some type of 'per session' rate limiting going on but it's not me!

Thanks as always.
Luca