[j-nsp] RAD Data Mirici-155 SFP OC3 in MX?

Jerry Jones jjones at danrj.com
Wed Feb 8 18:33:49 EST 2012

I would be inerested if anyone has used these in an SRX also.

On Feb 8, 2012, at 2:14 PM, Dave hartzell wrote:

Hello,

I have been trying to get a RAD Data Communications Mirici-155 SFP to
work in an MX-series box.

The Mirici-155 is an SFP-compatible OC-3 plug-able optic that "looks
and feels" like an Ethernet SFP to the switch or router, except it
takes Ethernet frames and encapsulates them in GFP for SONET delivery
over a WAN.  A small, onboard "server" allows for configuration of
various SONET and Ethernet parameters via HTTP.  The device is much,
much cheaper than POS and works well (when it works).

This SFP works fine in EX, M-series and Cisco switches, but not the MX
(at least not the MX240 I have).  The MX sees the SFP, and everything
looks normal, but we cannot ping the server-agent on the SFP, or pass
frames through the device to a known working far-side.  STP is
disabled.  LLDP/CDP frames won't pass either.

I'm curious if anyone else has experience with these devices, and if
there are some trace or monitor options I can look at to try to figure
this out...

Thanks!

Dave