[j-nsp] MX960 Redundant RE problem

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Wed Feb 15 12:24:50 EST 2012

Morgan,

You are correct if you are running GRES only, however if you enable NSR basically the Backup RE also actively runs rpd and maintains state adjacencies, etc, so in the event of a Primary RE failure you will not need to reestablish  adjacencies, etc.

The cool thing is the Backup RE is actually listening to all the control plane messages coming on fxp1 destined for the Master RE and formulating it's own decisions, running its own Dijkstra, BGP Path Selection, etc. This is a preferred approach as opposed to simply mirroring routing state from the Primary to the Backup is because it eliminates fate sharing where there may be a bug on the Primary RE, we don't want to create a carbon copy of that on the Backup.

Stefan Fouant
JNCIE-SEC, JNCIE-SP, JNCIE-ER, JNCI
Technical Trainer, Juniper Networks

Follow us on Twitter @JuniperEducate