[j-nsp] Mounting MX80 at an angle

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Thu Feb 16 13:49:38 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Serge Vautour <sergevautour at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone ever rack mounted an MX80 or a similar sized router at an angle before? Any reason why this isn't a good idea? Could it have an impact on the electrical components?
>
> We've run into alot of COs where we could save money by installing them at an angle. Existing racks aren't big enough and we've had to buy complete new racks which drives up the costs. Our guys have found angled brackets that would work.

I can't say for sure, though I bet it would be ok.
However, this may qualify as one of the more hilarious mountings
imaginable. Take some photos of the end result, if you can share. :P

Some hardware configurations run hotter than others. Maxing out on 10
GigE ports will make more heat than the 48-port GigE fixed
configuration, for example.

One thing I might intuit would be to mount the hot exhaust pointing
up, so you're not fighting the hot air wanting to rise against the
cool (though the fans are pushing enough air, I bet it doesn't matter
that much).
Though in all the configurations I've seen, there's been mostly
side-to-side airflow, so it may not matter here.

Cheers,
jof