[j-nsp] IS-IS routes not installed

Kevin Wormington kworm at sofnet.com
Thu Feb 23 06:11:15 EST 2012

Hi,

I have a lab setup with three nodes (2 M7i and 1 EX4200) in the
following topology (forgive the bad ascii art):

            M7i1 <--> EX
             \         /
              \       /
                M7i2

The links between them are all gige going through layer2 switches with a
VLAN 302 that all devices are a member of and VLAN 300 which is only the
link between M7i2 and EX.  IS-IS adjacencies form between all the
devices and routes are propogated as expected when all links are up.  If
I break the link between M7i1 & EX by removing the EX from the VLAN
between them then after convergence time from the EX I see the correct
routes to M7i1 coming through via M7i2 and on M7i1 I see the correct
route to EX via M7i2.  However, if I instead break the connection
between the EX and M7i2 then from M7i1 I see the correct routes coming
from the EX and M7i2, but on the EX I don't see the routes to M7i2
coming via M7i1 and on M7i2 I don't see the routes from EX coming via
M7i1.  On M7i2 and EX the IS-IS database does show the TLVs of the
routes...they are just not installed into the routing table.  By routes
I mean a few directly connect routes and the loopback /32s.

The method I used to simulate a link failure was to remove either VLAN
from the trunk port of the EX.

This is a single level (level2 only) single area setup. As to why the
crazy vlan setup and secondary IP config you will see below...trying to
mock up something that sort of exists in the real world as part of a
transition.  I must be missing something simple.  Any pointers would be
appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

Config snippets:

EX
kevin at ex> show configuration protocols isis
export isis-export;
level 1 disable;
interface lo0.0 {
     passive;
}
interface vlan.300;
interface vlan.302;

kevin at ex> ...cy-options policy-statement isis-export
term term-1 {
     from {
         route-filter 0.0.0.0/0 exact;
     }
     then reject;
}
term term-2 {
     from protocol static;
     then accept;
}
term term-3 {
     from protocol direct;
     then accept;
}

kevin at ex> show configuration interfaces lo0
unit 0 {
     family inet {
         address 10.10.10.242/32;
     }
     family iso {
         address 49.0001.0100.1001.0242.0001.00;
     }
}

kevin at ex> show configuration interfaces vlan unit 300
family inet {
     description "M7i2 link"
     address 10.10.10.231/28;
}
family iso;

kevin at ex> show configuration interfaces vlan unit 302
description "M7i1 link";
family inet {
     address 10.20.20.10/30;
}
family iso;

M7i1

kevin at m7i1> show configuration protocols isis
export isis-export;
level 1 disable;
interface ge-1/0/0.0;
interface lo0.0 {
     passive;
}

kevin at m7i1> ...cy-options policy-statement isis-export
term term-1 {
     from {
         route-filter 0.0.0.0/0 exact;
     }
     then accept;
}
term term-2 {
     from protocol static;
     then accept;
}
term term-3 {
     from protocol direct;
     then accept;
}

kevin at m7i1> show configuration interfaces ge-1/0/0
description "Link to M7i2 and EX";
unit 0 {
     family inet {
         address 10.20.20.6/30;
         address 10.20.20.9/30;
     }
     family iso;
}

kevin at m7i1> show configuration interfaces lo0
unit 0 {
     family inet {
         address 10.20.20.32/32;
     }
     family iso {
         address 49.0001.0100.2002.0032.0001.00;
     }
}

M7i2

kevin at m7i2> show configuration protocols isis
export isis-export;
level 1 disable;
interface ge-1/3/0.300;
interface ge-1/3/0.302;
interface lo0.0 {
     passive;
}

kevin at m7i1> ...cy-options policy-statement isis-export
term term-1 {
     from {
         route-filter 0.0.0.0/0 exact;
     }
     then reject;
}
term term-2 {
     from protocol static;
     then accept;
}
term term-3 {
     from protocol direct;
     then accept;
}

kevin at m7i2> show configuration interfaces ge-1/3/0 unit 300
description "EX Link";
vlan-id 300;
family inet {
     address 10.10.10.228/28;
}
family iso;

kevin at m7i2> show configuration interfaces ge-1/3/0 unit 302
description "M7i1 Link";
vlan-id 302;
family inet {
     address 10.20.20.5/30;
}
family iso;

kevin at m7i2> show configuration interfaces lo0
unit 0 {
     family inet {
         address 10.10.10.240/32;
     }