[j-nsp] Sources for SFP+ optics

Bill Blackford bblackford at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 09:38:18 EST 2012

When you evaluate third-party optics, do a complete test of them.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/transceiver-m-mx-t-series-1000base-optical-specifications.html

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/transceiver-m-mx-t-series-10-gigabit-optical-specifications.html

Look at light levels, push traffic through them, etc.

Several manufacturers, like Finisar, MRV, etc. send the units that
test well to Juniper, Cisco, etc. The ones that don't pass well, go to
third-parties. Alos, if they are surplus and used, they could be
dirty.

We've recently been burned by using third-party. The initial evals
tested fine, but the last order had a 50% failure rate.

Good luck.

-b

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 5:53 AM, Tim Jackson <jackson.tim at gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally I've never had a single issue with Finisar, Fujitsu, or Opnext.
>
> SFP, SFP+, or XFP.
>
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Robert Juric <robert.juric at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the insights. Which 3rd party transceivers have you had the best
>> luck with then?
>>
>> Robert

>>> "Without doubt" will give you surprises. See PR/486951 for extended
>>> fun with certain revision of Juniper-premium-price-sold Picolight/JDSU
>>> XFPs with links not coming up anymore. Or the desaster with early
>>> revision of Methode Elec. SFP-T which had a bad physical design of
>>> the locking/ejection mechanics so you were almost unable to remove
>>> them from without damaging the DPC.
>>>
>>> Bottom line: we had far less trouble with 3rd party transceivers than
>>> with Juniper premium priced transceivers.... for a fraction of cost.
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Daniel
>>>
>>> --
>>> CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: dr at cluenet.de -- dr at IRCnet -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0

Bill Blackford
Network Engineer

Logged into reality and abusing my sudo privileges.....