[j-nsp] Sources for SFP+ optics

Jonas Frey (Probe Networks) jf at probe-networks.de
Thu Feb 23 11:42:47 EST 2012

The best thing nowadays is to get an eeprom programmer and do all this
stuff yourself, this is what we do.
This way you are flexible with 3rd party optics. You just buy a bunch of
XFPs/SFP/SFP-P's with generic firmware and identifiers and programm the
rest yourself for whatever device you are running which has
"vendor-locking".

No reason to have exactly the same xFP hardware several times in stock
just to have it work with different devices.

Dont get me wrong, if i want something to be 100% officially supported
(or the project requires it) we buy the optics from the vendor.

But i dont see any reason to pay $1500 each time for a 10G SFP+ LR optic
when i can buy this from one of the larger SFP vendors for less than
$80.

-Jonas