[j-nsp] Only announce BGP learned networks

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Feb 26 23:27:24 EST 2012

On Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:25:59 PM Patrick Okui
wrote:

> Put those two together and there's good reason to set the
> AD for both iBGP and eBGP to say 200 (the default AD for
> iBGP and higher than any IGP). IMHO Juniper's default
> preference settings make more sense.

Exactly!

Of course, I have ran networks before where the defaults
remained the same, i.e., 20 for eBGP and 200 for iBGP, and
this worked well because all eBGP routes belonged to foreign
AS's, which would never appear in our IGP to cause a
conflict in the first place.

But I'd always recommend that one equalizes the AD to 200
for BGP in IOS, for the reasons already mentioned.

It's a shame we still see the old defaults even in IOS XR.

Mark.