[j-nsp] QFX3500 optics lock?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Jan 8 07:11:19 EST 2012

On 01/08/2012 01:48 AM, OBrien, Will wrote:
> I'd make darn sure that Juniper knows that this is an issue for you.
> I'm half torn on the optics issue - I can half understand the
> argument for certified optics, but I've also been in the position of
> being short on 'blessed' optics while having other vendors hardware
> on hand.

Couple of points (but long email, sorry - this is a pet peeve issue of
mine!).

Firstly, I think the phrase "certified" optics is a misnomer, one that
I'm sure Juniper would like to hide behind. It would be a completely
different matter if Juniper said something like:

"We only support optics from the following 3rd party vendors/product lines."

Instead, they're saying:

"We will only allow you to use our optics."

...and then fail to price them competitively. This is an abuse of market
power, and like most such abuses, it's bad for everyone except the
owners / shareholders of the company doing the abusing.

I note that, at current pricing levels, 10G transceivers actually cost
more than the per-port cost of the *packet forwarding hardware* for some
high-density platforms (which is extraordinary). You could make a
convincing argument that over-priced transceivers retard deployment of
high-bandwidth networks, and that this adversely affects pricing all up
the value chain.

Secondly, I don't see why Juniper need to *force* whatever restriction
(either the current Juniper-only, or some more gentle "certified only")
in software. They could trivially deny JTAC support for any issue
involving loss / delay / jitter until the customer tries a Juniper or
Juniper-approved transceiver.

(If the issue didn't go away when I purchased and installed such a
transceiver, I would like Juniper to refund my money of course...;o)

There are hundreds of things that can go wrong with a box, and the
transceiver has relatively little to do with most of them. For them to
claim that a major risk to a QFX box is "dodgy optics", especially when
the vast majority of optics are made in the same few places, and differ
only in physical label and EEPROM contents, is either self-deluding or
dishonest on Junipers part.

If they want people to believe that, they'll need to be a lot more open
about the testing they did to prove that uncertified optics cause
problems, and that still doesn't get them off the hook. Certified !=
Juniper.

> That said, even cisco does this with the unsupported optics command.

Indeed, and I don't have much problem with that model.

Semi-interesting aside though; we once got stung with a batch of really
crappy, forged "cisco genuine" transceivers. The reason I know they were
forged is that we had a large number of duplicate serial numbers. The
reason I knew that they were crappy? They were "malformed" - at least 5%
of them wouldn't accept an LC connector due to mis-aligned barrels, and
about half the rest had EXTRAORDINARILY low power output. We shouted at
the reseller, and got our money back.

However - crappy though they were, imagine my irritation when, even with
"service unsupported-transceiver", a duplicate SFP serial number caused
err-disable on BOTH ports, and requires BOTH transceivers to be removed.

It's not obvious to me that this is a reasonable response; the 1st
transceiver was in, and forwarding packets. Why disable it? What
possible "value" does that add?

So even the Cisco model is a bit more restrictive than first
appearances. It's only "some" unsupported transceivers.

Cheers,
Phil