[j-nsp] Whitebox 10Gb/s capture challenge

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jan 9 13:08:25 EST 2012

On 09/01/12 16:05, OBrien, Will wrote:
> I'm pondering the idea of trying to build a relatively inexpensive 10Gb capture box.
> The simple solution is a dell R710 with 10Gb nics. I have some, they work, but I'd have to spend $50k to get enough of them.
>
> So, my challenge is keeping the price point is something around $1000-$1500 - basically the 10Gb version of a 1u gigE capture system.

We're investigating this at the moment. I think you'll struggle to
achieve that price point if you want to capture a significant fraction
of 10G e.g. >6G.

In particular, you want a good NIC with good drivers, and those are
several hundred UK pounds, so well in excess of $500 I expect.

What operating system are you targeting?