[j-nsp] QFX3500 optics lock?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Jan 9 18:05:37 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 12:11:19PM +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:
> However - crappy though they were, imagine my irritation when, even
> with "service unsupported-transceiver", a duplicate SFP serial number
> caused err-disable on BOTH ports, and requires BOTH transceivers to be
> removed.
>
> It's not obvious to me that this is a reasonable response; the 1st
> transceiver was in, and forwarding packets. Why disable it? What
> possible "value" does that add?

Actually, this one I get... They're trying to detect and block a
counterfeit product that says "Cisco" on it, and which as you said, was
introduced into the supply chain without your knowledge that it was an
inferior fake (and maybe even without your VARs knowledge too). This is
COMPLETELY different from artificially disabling a third party's
product.

Of course, if they weren't so busy trying to do the later there wouldn't
be nearly as much demand for people doing the former, but they're still
probably justified in blocking the duplicate serial #'s of Cisco
products.