[j-nsp] What is an acceptable amount of latency for traffic routed through an SRX cluster?

Morgan McLean wrx230 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 19:28:11 EST 2012

Yes, we are using it for security purposes. Why would I spend so much money
on a box that is so limited in throughput due to its various fw inspection
overhead?

I am running two 3600's that connect via 10GE to a couple core 8208 EX
switches, which then multihome down to top of rack switches. The 3600's are
using a reth group to manage which 10ge connection has the gateway
addresses.

The firewalls are barely loaded, under 6,000 sessions with a very slow ramp
rate. Not a whole lot of policies, not a whole lot of address book entries
(under 100?), running some OSPF with less than 130 routes. This also
happens between two zones for example that are any any.

The interface peaks at around a gigabit a second at anywhere from 75k to
100k pps. This box is in no way loaded. Personally I think the caching
issues my boss mentioned are related to something else, and I think .5ms
isn't so unreasonable, but I'm being pressed as to why its so much
higher. The application is a replicating cache system based around
memcached.

I don't think any ALG could possibly be applied to this, but I'll double
check.

Thanks,
Morgan