[j-nsp] QFX3500 optics lock?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jan 10 05:07:09 EST 2012

On 01/10/2012 12:35 AM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> In theory the way it's supposed to work is that a cryptographically
> verifiable code based on the serial number (probably some sort of hash,
> but no clue what they actually use) is written to the EEPROM. That way,
> Cisco can give the actual manufacturers a list of SN's and codes equal
> to the number of units they're purchasing, to prevent the classic
> counterfeiting problem of the factory in China running during the day
> for the customer and at night for themselves.

That's something I've heard before, but to be frank it's always seemed a
bit... highly organised, shall I say?... for the vendors to actually
accomplish.

Are you convinced that they're actually doing this? If so, I don't
suppose you could share the evidence that convinced you? ;o)

If nothing else, one wonders how things like the widely-available "XYZ
Compatible" optics (or the flexBox) would work if this validation were
taking place.