[j-nsp] VPLS configuration

Michael Phung cytogen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 13:01:07 EST 2012

Hello Everyone,

We're looking to deploy VPLS and L3VPN services on our network and I'm
looking for some help on creating these instances across our network.
So far we are focused on providing VPLS first. I've looked through a
lot of the examples available online from Juniper and also some past
j-nsp threads, but nothing resembles what we have in place on our MX
routers. Mostly because we are using bridge family on the the links
facing our customer switch fabric. I'm hoping someone can help me out
on creating a VPLS instance that spans multiple PE routers. Day one
we'll be looking to do just a point-point VPLS and have it scale to
point-multipoint in the future.

Here is the topology;

We are using IS-IS/LDP and have enabled l2vpn signalling on our BGP.

C= Customer
SW= Switch

C---SW---PE-A---P---PE-B---SW---C

PE-A router (PE-B is pretty much a mirror config)

interfaces {
xe-4/0/0 {
    apply-groups flows;
    description "link to P router";
    mtu 1614;
    unit 0 {
        family inet {
            address X.X.X.X/30;
        }
        family iso;
        family mpls;
    }
}
    xe-4/1/0 {
        description "link to SW";
        flexible-vlan-tagging;
        mtu 1622;
        encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
        unit 0 {
            family bridge {
                interface-mode trunk;
                vlan-id-list [ 1000 936 232 ];
            }
        }
    }
}
protocols {
    mpls {
        interface xe-4/0/0.0;
    }
    bgp {
        graceful-restart;
        group ibgp-mesh {
            type internal;
            neighbor X.X.X.X {
                description "*P router";
                family inet {
                    unicast;
                }
                family inet-vpn {
                    unicast;
                }
                family l2vpn {
                    signaling;
                }
            }
            neighbor X.X.X.X {
                description "PE-B";
                family inet {
                    unicast;
                }
                family inet-vpn {
                    unicast;
                }
                family l2vpn {
                    signaling;
                }
            }
        }
    }
    isis {
        traffic-engineering ignore-lsp-metrics;
        level 1 disable;
        level 2 wide-metrics-only;
        interface xe-4/0/0.0 {
            apply-groups [ bfd-isis-default isis-node-protection ];
            ldp-synchronization;
            point-to-point;
            level 2 {
                metric 10;
            }
        }
        interface lo0.0 {
            passive;
    }
    ldp {
        track-igp-metric;
        interface xe-4/0/0.0;
        interface lo0.0;
        session-protection;
    }
}
bridge-domains {
    vlan1000-mgmt {
        vlan-id 1000;
        routing-interface irb.1000;
    }
    vlan936-customer {
        vlan-id 936;
        routing-interface irb.936;
    }
    vlan232-L2-customer {
        vlan-id 232;
    }
}

What I'm trying to achieve is to create a VPLS instance that spans
across both PE routers where the servers on the VLAN on either end are
seen on the same Layer 2 segment.

In most examples it shows that the trunk interface configured as
individual units for each vlan, where as we have created a family
bridge and with vlan members.

What I was thinking was the following, but since this is purely just
Layer 2, I do not have a irb defined for the VLAN.

PE-A
routing-instances
    chrismas {
        instance-type vpls;
        interface irb.232;
        route-distinguisher X.X.X.X:100;
        vrf-target target:11111:1;
        protocols {
            vpls {
                site-range 10;
                site PE-A {
                    site-identifier 1;
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

PE-B
routing-instances
    chrismas {
        instance-type vpls;
        interface irb.232;
        route-distinguisher Y.Y.Y.Y:100;
        vrf-target target:11111:1;
        protocols {
            vpls {
                site-range 10;
                site PE-B {
                    site-identifier 2;
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and please excuse my ignorance.
New with MPLS and still learning.

Thanks,
Michael