[j-nsp] Juniper MX40 / MX80 as a edge aggregator

Remco Bressers rbressers at signet.nl
Wed Jan 25 09:11:56 EST 2012

Hi list,

We are in the process of selecting an edge platform for the following
featureset :

- Routing BGP/OSPF with less than 10K routes
- PPPoE for >5000 ethernet customers
- >5000 traffic policies on these customers. We want to be able to
select a traffic profile (2Mbps to GigE) per PPPoE customer on a single
ethernet port.
- RADIUS authentication for these PPPoE customers
- 4K VLAN's per physical port
- per-VLAN traffic policy's. Define traffic policy (2Mbps to GigE) per
VLAN per port.
- 2 or 4 10GigE ports to connect to our core infrastructure (which is
mainly brocade hardware)

I got the following offers :

MX40-T-AC including MX80-ADV-R, S-MX80-Q & S-ACCT-JFLOW-IN-5G licenses

or the :

MX80-T-AC
S-MX80-ADV-R
S-MX80-Q

Our sales rep offered us this box and told us that it fits the
featureset easily. Are there any people on the list using the MX80 boxes
as a PPPoE aggregator and what is your opinion? How does
rate-limiting/policying scale?

Regards,

Remco Bressers
Signet B.V.